Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update (from yesterday)

The consultant I met with yesterday was wonderful. She answered all my questions and was very patient. The advice she gave was very different from that of my consultant. I found myself wishing that I had added her to my list of consultants to check out when I was searching for one. I would have chosen her. I tried to pay her for her time, but she wouldn't accept anything.

She said my consultant needed to slip the bunches ( the ones that have loops coming out of them) down to even the lock out. She told me I need to get the unraveled hair redone ASAP and the two that I took down that were too tight to bear. I think I would have taken the whole head down at that moment if it was possible because it hurt that bad.

She showed me a different way to band my hair and said I probably should shy away from braiding because my hair would continue to unravel as I am taking the braid loose. She told me to wash as little as possible. Also to manipulate my hair as little as possible and to handle my hair from the roots because my hair seems to easily unravel. Said hair should've begun as reverse 4, then changed to 4 instead of the other way around.

I think one big problem was that my consultant is not very accessible (since I work first shift and have classes 3 nights a week and I live about an hour away and she doesn't do weekends, which is not at all her fault). She did tell me during our last conversation that I come at night (usually 6pm), and she can't see my hair as well and that I need to come during the day. Also, it's hard to ask her questions without being cut off. She initially told me my hair would start locking around 5, 6 months. I now know that isn't true and it could take a year or even more.

The other consultant also told me a little more about my hair type that I wasn't aware of. After all the questions I asked, she asked me if I had a consultation before the install, which I did. It just wasn't as thorough as today's visit.

My impression of my hair type was nothing like what it actually is. I always described my hair as thin, coily, and very kinky, even nappy but have since learned that its fine, curly and soft.

As the other consultant put it, it's not messed up, it just needs a little troubleshooting.

I also know for comfort's sake, 2 full rotations at a nearly 5 week retightening doesn't work for me (which I guess that's what took so long). My hair doesn't grow quite that fast.

One more question just came to mind. My slc said as long as the tool could still fit between the lock and the scalp that it's okay to keep turning. Is that correct? And if so, is this a snug fit or a loose fit, or does it matter? I'm trying to understand why the retightening hurt so bad days after. It felt like someone was pulling me by the hair for about a week afterwards. If this is indicative of what I will feel every month, I don't know if I want to go back.

1 comment:

  1. Concrete Rose,
    Just to share my experience with you, after having you hair retightened it should be close fit to your scalp, but not hurt. There maybe sensitives and your scalp my feel slightly tender, but not hurt. When I have my hair retightened it does feel like I just got braids done. It doesn't hurt to the point of taking some pain-relievers but my scalp is a little tender. I have had locs that were rotated too tight. I would gently "un-rotate" them until my pain was eased. The next time I saw my loctitcian I would convey to her that some of the rotations were too tight and to take care not to do so again. This save us both time and me money. It generally takes 5hrs to retighten my hair. So it wouldn't make since to let her continue to rotate too tight and then turn around and loosen some of them b/c of the pain. Since you being so tender-headed, you may want to make sure the consultant of your choice FULLY understands that. Then you two can work out what best for you.
    Microloc'ed for 4 months

    ReplyDelete